30 days... six items of clothing

30 days... six items of clothing

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Day #4, Why all those shirts?


Today is an important day in sixorless land. I'm wearing the last two items in my "wardrobe", meaning tomorrow the repeats begin. I often wear the same jeans for a couple days in a row, anyway. The hassle is going to be washing items (probably by hand since we don't do laundry every day) every night so I have a clean top to wear. Truth be told, I wear the same shirt for more than one day on occasion (if it passes the sniff test, of course). But it would be good to save that for the dog days at the end of the challenge.

With all the new found time, I have been pondering the steps that led me to this madness. Why all those shirts? And why so many unworn? Here are some thoughts:

1- New things are fun (aren't evolutionary biologists claiming we are wired to enjoy novelty?)
2- I rarely try things on before buying
3- I rarely return things if they don't fit
4- If I throw out (or donate) things, I may have to acknowledge that they were foolish purchases
5- I rarely bother to think through how new items might coordinate with old ones
6- I don't set and/or stick to a clothing budget
7- I ignore the fact that seasons and styles change
8- Cleaning a closet is boring

This is a long list, and there are probably more reasons for my predicament. But after reviewing this list, I realize I can do something about all but #1 (and maybe #8). Maybe history will not repeat itself!

Oh, and by the way, I didn't lay out my clothes last night because I just couldn't settle on the sixth item. Originally it was supposed to be a greenish shirt, but I like the color of this purple one better and it's super comfy. After a night of thinking about it, the green one was out!

No comments:

Post a Comment