30 days... six items of clothing

30 days... six items of clothing

Saturday, July 24, 2010

To stop shopping... I shop!

The plan is to start the challenge in two days. Which means the six clothes items must be chosen NOW. But as I pawed through my closet, I realized that there was nothing plain enough to actually work with anything else. That in itself was a useful observation. So, it was off to the store...

Now before crying foul, note that the store of choice was a second hand store. And its offerings unfortunately resembled the selection in my closet. Lots of "distinctive" pieces, but not a lot of plain stuff that could be mixed and matched. Again, another useful observation.

As I made my selections, I had a couple guiding ideas:

- avoid light colors (I am a messy eater)
- solids only (a cute pattern might grate on my nerves after 30 days)
- no bells or whistles (minimize the likelihood that someone will recognize my clothes)
- no ironing required (hate it!)

I have not shopped with such purpose since looking for my first interview suit. And I tried on EVERYTHING. Usually, I don't bother, which may explain a lot of the unworn items in my closet :)

As the store closed, I came home with 3 shirts to go with pants, shorts, and a dress already in my collection. Will sleep on these choices, then lay them out tomorrow and make the final selection.

2 comments:

  1. I also have a daily fight to see what to wear each day. My closet is full is nice business clothes that are for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of people have this same issue. Why is that??? I just seem to find millions of more pressing or pleasant activities than taking the hour to do the seasonal closet swap.

    ReplyDelete