30 days... six items of clothing

30 days... six items of clothing

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day #9, sixorless... in this economy?


Today the little black dress and khaki shirt made their return. It was a comfortable outfit for walking around. I will probably keep a dress in my rotation after the 30 days, which I have never done in my life. Turns out to be very versitile.


I had a discussion with my mother-in-law today about this challenge. She had actually read the New York Times article about the @sixitemsorless group already. She thought it was an interesting, if not new, idea and also raised a good point. She said that in this economy, the worst thing we could be doing was to stop spending money. I have heard this argument before. I wish one of my old economist friends was around to give a more informed response than I could. But in the last 9 days, I have absolutely been spending money on services that I might have spent before on clothes. For example, in the past I would have bought clothes to get ready for a trip. This time, I got a haircut and would have gotten a pedicure if time had permitted. Spending money on services seems more environmentally friendly than on goods (most of the time), so I am happy with this shift. But I would like to read up a bit more about this line of reasoning, time permitting of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment